Healthy Paws Pet Insurance Review
As of this writing, Healthy Paws is poised to celebrate its 10-year anniversary – both for the insurance company itself and the charitable foundation which was formed alongside it. The company’s origins date back to 2009 when Steve Siadek decided to transition out of the corporate world and become the executive director of his local no-kill animal shelter. while acting as executive director, Steve met a man named Rob Jackson who not only shared his passion for rescuing animals, but also worked in the insurance industry. The two pooled their financial resources and used their unique knowledge of insurance and business to create the Healthy Paws Pet Insurance & Foundation as people know it today.
Healthy Paws covers dogs, cats, puppies, and kittens of all ages. There are no options to purchase insurance coverage for birds or exotic pets at this time. It is also unclear whether or not this may be an option in the future.
Healthy Paws is dedicated to the health and wellness of cats and dogs across the country. Not only do they want to help you keep your pets healthy at an affordable cost, but they want to help more shelter animals get the medical treatment they need to get adopted to a forever home quickly and easily. They’ve donated hundreds of thousands of dollars towards the cause, not the least of which is their Every Quote Gives Hope program. Even if you decide not to enroll with Healthy Paws, simply requesting a free quote from them means that the Healthy Paws Foundation will donate money towards life-saving vaccines, spaying and neutering homeless pets, and giving shelter animals advanced medical treatment to expedite their eventual adoption.
Healthy Paws has been in business since 2009 and has an A+ rating from AM Best.
According to the Better Business Bureau, Healthy Paws has had 53 complaints closed within the last 3 years, 30 of those occurring within the last 12 months. The main issues were problems with a product or service, and billing/collections issues. Healthy Paws pet insurance LLC has an overall A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau.
Discounts and Promotions
- If your employer has a voluntary benefits program, you may be eligible for a discount. If not, Healthy Paws strongly suggests you contact your HR representative and let them know about the employee discount program offered at no cost from Healthy Paws.
- Healthy Paws discounts may also be available through member organizations such as AAA, AMAC, and similar entities. As with the example above, Healthy Paws encourages you to reach out to your member organization and let them know about no-cost discount programs which Healthy Paws is willing to offer.
- The Every Quote Gives Hope philanthropic program is enticing enough to at least ask for a quote – even if Healthy Paws isn’t your first choice.
- If the invoice you submit when filing a claim has a discount on it, Healthy Paws will apply that discount to the non-covered items on your invoice before they apply it to the covered items. This adds a bit more savings and affordability to your policy.
Healthy Paws does have some age restrictions on its pet insurance policies. If your dog or cat is over the age of ten, your policy options become much more limited than they would with a younger animal. For older pets, the only reimbursement option is a maximum of 60%, and you will have to pay an annual deductible of $750.
he claims process with Healthy Paws starts after you pay your veterinarian for the cost of treatment and submit that invoice to Healthy Paws for a claim review process. You can do so either online or using the Healthy Paws mobile app. For those who aren’t computer- or mobile-savvy, you can use email, fax, or regular mail to submit your claim (although the process may take longer).
For first-time claims, you will need to provide your pet’s full medical records (along with any doctor’s notes) with the claim and the invoice. From there, Healthy Paws will usually process your claim within 10 business days. Once the claim is processed and approved, they will issue you your reimbursement funds within 24 business hours by either mailing you a check or transferring the money via direct deposit to a bank account of your choice. If you have any questions about or issues with your claim, you will have to contact the company directly to get things sorted out.
- Philanthropic Efforts
- No Annual or Lifetime Caps
- The claims process can take several days
- Customer support is not available 24/7
- Get your Cat to Love Their Carrier - March 12, 2019
- Can you Leash Train a Cat? - March 9, 2019